PC Security Overhaul

I replaced my anti virus and firewall software recently, and the thing that made me do it was ZoneAlarm. The electricity went out during my computer's start up and during that time, just before it happened, ZoneAlarm was doing its loading or something, and after restarting when the electricity was restored, it went bonkers. It lost all its settings and it began blocking some stuff it shouldn't be blocking. So, I decided to overhaul everything, and needed to do it anyway because both my anti virus and firewall are really out of date.

Before this, I was using Antivir anti virus, ZoneAlarm firewall. I haven't updated my firewall and anti virus for more than 2 years, and during those years, the security technologies have progressed a lot. I searched around to find out what's hot right now. For firewalls, I found this page where it has results of leak tests for all of the popular firewall programs. At the top of the list ranked no. 1 is Comodo Firewall Pro, and what's even better is that it's free.
Comodo Firewall Pro

For anti virus, there's this website where it lists out the top 10 anti virus of 2007. No. 1 is Bitdefender. I searched for a download of Bitdefender Anti Virus but every copy that is available for download is a "Plus" version. The "Plus" version includes a firewall with it, and don't want it as it may cause conflicts with my new Comodo firewall.

So no. 2 was Kaspersky. I downloaded it, but decided not to use it as the installation process was somewhat cumbersome. To install the crack, you need to boot in safe mode and stuff, I don't want to go through all that. So I settled for no. 3, Nod32. It's as secure as the previous to firewalls, but its user interface ain't that good. I can live with that. Plus, people say it's lightweight, so it doesn't consume much of my computer's resources.
Nod32 Anti Virus

I've run these two softwares without a hitch so far.

0 comments: