Cloverfield Sucks For Others Too

Click image for larger version
An updated version is below. The jump goes higher than I thought it would be.
Click image for larger version

It seems that I'm not the only one who thinks Cloverfield sucks, and I've got the stats to prove it. After my previous post titled "Cloverfield Sucks", my blog got a big jump in the number of visits. Most of it is referred from Google with the search term "cloverfield sucks". Apparently I am not alone with this sentiment.

Click image for larger version

After further analysis of the movie, I think the problem was the movie didn't make me want to care enough about those yuppie characters. There are a lot of other movies that made me feel very attached to its characters, but this one didn't do it well enough. Maybe it's the unconvincing acting, or the maybe it's the script itself that didn't make me believe these characters were real enough to invest my emotions in them.

But the it's not like I didn't enjoy it at all. My main disappointment was with the ending. It ended at a point where I felt that things were only starting to get good and looked forward for it to get better. I wanted to see more of the monster.

I expected a different kind of movie. But my expectations are from the promotions and hype that the movie itself has generated. If I didn't know anything about the movie, if I didn't know that it's about a monster, and my only knowledge of the movie is from the movie poster only, then, maybe I'll truly enjoy it. But after so much focus on the monster from the media hype, I expect it to be monster-centric, not yuppie-centric.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TRUE THAT! I got my money back. I stayed up until the part when they were attacked in the subway by the creatures ripped off from Alien. They looked like face huggers and I know the sound they made was lifted from another movie. I wanted to enjoy it but the shaky hand held camera made me nauseous. I should have known better when I saw it was rated PG13. Don't believe the HYPE.

Anonymous said...

I hated this movie so much. My girlfriend dragged me to see "P.S. I love you" and I'd rather watch that a million more times then have to sit through another second of Cloverfield. I left the theatre feeling like I had been cheated, raped and made a fool of. I now know what it's like to feel like I've been date raped. I want to go outside the theatres and stop everyone from being robbed from this piece of shit. All I can say is that marketting did it's job............ and How